Last year when the lovely Di invited me to be part of a new bee she was forming, where, after we sent our initial block out into the world, the result would be a complete mystery for a year, I never imagined what an amazing quilt I would get back!

I sent out these 2 blocks initially (since I wanted to get back a square quilt, I sent out 2 starter blocks):

And I said I wanted the girls to take inspiration from the vehicles and things from the Birch Organics Circa 52 collection.  That was it.

The top was amazing on its own (you can read all about it here), and after initially toying with FMQing with an appropriate pattern to each block, I decided that would overwhelm it, so went for outlining each vehicle, and then adding in some lines for roads/flames, with a line between each spoke in my centre block.  I bound it with the yellow stripe from Glimma, that I’d picked up thinking it would be perfect for binding *something*

So here is the final thing:

Please excuse a few fold marks!

Here it is at FQR last weekend, with 6/8 of the original gang – Annabella and Danny, we missed you!

Final Stats:

Fabric: Selection from the ST stash + Circa 1952 by Birch Organics (centre block) + Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter (binding)
Thread: Quilted using Aurifil 50wt #2024 + #2692
Batting: Quilter’s Dream 100% cotton
Size: 72″ x 72″
Quilting: Echo around each vehicle, ‘spokes’ between the black stitching on the centre block, ‘road’ and ‘flames’ added under some vehicles
Quilted by: Moi
Pattern: Courtesy of the minds of the Stitch Tease gang (be afraid, be very afraid ;o) )

Translate »