There has never been so much build up to so little, but I finally managed to get a photo of Madrona Corners at the British Quilt & Stitch Village on Sunday.  The idea started around Christmas, when the layout got stuck in my head, although it was a couple of months before I could attack this little pile and turn it into reality:

I evicted the text prints from the body of the quilt, along with a couple of other prints from the pink/orange colourway to even the numbers up.  I then married what was left with lots of white, and had some fun improv piecing to create the effect of where some converging corners blocks meet.  I didn’t read the tute, I just plunged on in, which was pretty much the story of this quilt’s life, which is why its next stop was here:

You know, if you’re going to try long arming for the first time, why on earth wouldn’t you do it on a quilt you’ve been dreaming about for months and intend to enter into a comp (because you’re lacking anything else suitable that would do in the time frame)???

11 hours of quilting later and after 2 attempts to square the blinking thing up after the quilting was done, I bound it with the black text print, then spent days some time sewing the blinking hanging sleeve and label on before I posted it off to the show.  And here it is (apologies for the Instagram pic, I didn’t take the big camera)

It kind of stood out like a sore thumb, being the only one anywhere near the 90″ side limit – they even had to extend the height of the hanging frame to heft it up there – oops!  Still, considering how often the poor thing had been folded in every which direction, it hung pretty darn well in the end, and it was nice to be able to see the whole thing, because yes, much as you were all teasing me, even *I* hadn’t really seen the full effect before this!

Translate »